FUNDERS AND SUPPORTERS: THANK YOU!
IN THE PRESS
Refugees’ schools project
Pensioners fact sheet
Did You Know?
CARING for CHILDREN and ADULTS in the UK
• 6 million people (1 in 10) care for a sick, disabled or older person.
• 2 million single parents (92% mothers) are raising 3 million children.
• Over 1 in 3 ‘unemployed’ single parents care for a disabled child.
• Less than 1 in 10 carers get Carer’s Allowance (£59.75 a week).
• Caring for adults and children with disabilities is valued at £119bn a
year. (Carers UK 2011)
• 90% of women stop breastfeeding before they want to. (Unicef UK, 2012)
• Only 1 in 3 babies are breastfed at all at four months; 1 in 4 when
mothers have to go out to work.
• 88% of mothers of young children with a full-time job would rather
work part-time or be full-time carers.
• Over 10,000 children were taken into care in 2011-12. Keeping a child
in a care home costs £2,428 a week, in foster care £489.
• 70% of all housework is done by women, nearly 2/3 by women with a 30+
hours a week job. (Economic and Social Research Council, July 2013)
• Childcare and housework done by mothers in the home is valued at
£31,627 a year. (Legal & General Insurance, Jan 2013)
• Women do two-thirds of the world’s work for 5% of the income and 1% of
the assets. (ILO)
• More stay-at-home mothers have gone back into employment in the past
two years than in the previous 15.
• There are now 2.04 million women looking after family and home full
time compared to 2.91 million 20 years ago. (ONS stats, Daily Telegraph,
14 Aug 2013)
Information compiled by Crossroads Women